xxxx -this is not shown

xxxx -this is not shown
Sixty days on the road.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Big Texas

.



In Amarillo there’s a famous restaurant called "Big Texan Steak Ranch"  It’s on the cheap east side of town where I would have stayed anyway, and a mile walk from my motel.  






If you can eat a 72-ounce steak in less than one hour, you get it free.  If you can’t, it’s $72. A touring cyclist might qualify as one of the most likely to accomplish this feat, but seeing that huge slab of beef, I passed. 









I ate an 8-ounce steak in less than an hour, and had to pay.











Once out of town today, I discovered again how truly big and open and unsheltered the Texas panhandle is.  Huge flat farms with an occasional farmhouse in the distance  









A wheat field ripe and ready for harvest.  






8 comments:

  1. the panoramic shot speaks louder than words

    I didn't mean to sound so meek in my last comment, but that last account was one that tempted the inside me to turn on my heels (hmmmmm .... weird image) .... even if the cloud reflections tempted the artist in me to relax into the adventure ... I was left with a longing for warmth and comfort and the chit chat of Amtrack passengers. Come Chicago, you'll please me with that one. In the meantime, RIDE ON and keep us posted, as you will. LOVE the photo of you and your 'small' steak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather the last two days has been lovely in the Big Texas Panhandle, as if it could be no other way. Soon comes Oklahoma, then Missouri, known for fierce storms and pretty songs like Surrey with a Fringe on Top. The clickety-clack of Amtrak will tempt when it draws near, like a buffet table to a starving okie in the thirties, escaping the dust bowl with no money. Maybe I keep going for them, disconnected as that seems. Because my father had them over for dinner and their stories of persecution by Californians once they reached the promised land.

      Delete
  2. That's a great picture of you getting ready to eat dinner. The red door bunch misses you, abandoned for red meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not abandon that great group at the Red Door for red meat, unless I happen to be in Texas at a famous beef restaurant, almost thinking I do the big one, the 72-ounce.

      Delete
  3. Having lots of fun with your brave stories of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here Mary. Lets do a Texas steak together sometime.

      Delete
  4. I thought the first photo appeared similar to North China looking toward Mongolia, but I realized that the Great Wall should be there. Then I thought of an imagined wall of the current debate, but I couldn't come up with a decent joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wall built in China to keep foreigners and enemies out, now serves as tourist attraction for those who want to hike on top of the wall and ponder its history. Someday, a wall along the Mexican border, if it is really built, may attract tourists who walk on its top wondering why such a thing was ever built.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete