xxxx -this is not shown

xxxx -this is not shown
Sixty days on the road.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

A Change of Plan



.



I left you in my last post at Barstow without saying anything about it.  A good town in the heyday of Route 66, Barstow thrived in the fifties with post-war Americans on road trips.  Today it’s a sorry remainder of the good times.  Crime is a major problem, judging by alarms on restaurant doors, locks on restrooms.  The old business district is mostly closed or degraded.  People are unfriendly in Barstow, and they seem scared. These photos are from just east of First Street, looking westerly along Main St., old Route 66.  from the 1950’s and from about the same place today.  



When the interstate highway, I-40, bypassed Barstow and its traveler-businesses along Route 66, they tried to carry on with cheap gas and signs along I-40 to entice travelers.  But it didn’t work.  These old photos are hanging at Barstow’s Route 66 Mother Road Museum.   



In recent years, Rout66 has taken a historical appeal, and once again businesses try to survive by promoting the old road as a destination in its long self.  I stayed in one of the old motels built in the heyday, now remodeled, while maintaining the nostalgic appeal of that bygone era.

We never stayed in motels on my childhood family vacations.  “That’s where the other half stops for the night,” my mother would say.  Then we’d go to a campground. 


East of Barstow lies the Mojave desert, long and almost void of any human comforts until Needles at the far edge of California.  I knew the three-day ride comes with only three possible places to get even water.  And it might be more days if wind comes from the east.  So, with a favorable forecast, I left Barstow on old Route 66.  A magnificent desert sunrise seemed to say it would be alright.




With the railroad on my left and I-40 on my right, I had the old road to myself.  Wind was calm and riding was pleasure.    







Wildflowers are sparse, but lovely in their loneness, much like the speeding cyclist who passed me today, loaded as I am, with only a wave.  We’re a solitary minority, and the desert suits us.




After Newberry Springs, I came to the expected and very welcome Bagdad Café.  It’s named after the 1988 movie by the same name.  “It’s a lousy movie,” said the bearded farmer, the only other customer, “but that name brings in the tourists, busloads sometimes.”  




Gilbert
As we sat there chatting—Gilbert, the owner joining us—a load of tourists stopped the RV and walked in.  The bearded man gave them a look that I’m sure means,  “Really, another load of Route 66 nostalgia-hunters without a clue.”  For him, what matters is that the water allocation for his alfalfa has been cut in half because of the draught.  “And the democrats want to build a high speed railroad,” he said. “I wish Trump would come and fix this.”  


I came to the town of Ludlow—not a town really, but a gas station, store, and a six-room motel.   Of course, I took a room here, even though they are all smoking rooms with no internet.  It’s a dry town, owned by man in Ludlow, serving mostly construction workers who have to bring their own beer.  The workers told me that I’m out-of-luck for riding anything, including a bicycle, on route 66 east of here. “ It’s all torn up for the first ten miles and no way to get around.  “You have to take I-40.” 

With no weather forecast, no information about grades, places to camp, condition of the shoulder, and little hope of making the next town with a motel—Needles, I set out from Ludlow at three in the morning on the shoulder of I-40.  My hope was that by riding at night,  red taillights flashing, a good headlight, good weather, and not too many long upgrades, I might make it to Needles—95 miles.  If not I would get off the freeway and camp.


Wind is usually lighter at night, and so it was that north wind pressed softly on my left side.  I climbed a thousand feet before first light, and another grade about the same by the time I got to Fenner, the only gas station and store.  After Fenner, there were two more grades until South Pass.  From here, I thought it should be downhill all the way to Needles.  A wonderful notion came over me that I could arrive by dark or soon after. And so it was  I came here to Budget Inn last evening.  

14 comments:

  1. I would have called a cab home. You are one brave mo fo. I loved Baghdad Cafe. Call me a loser. You are the winner!! Love L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not call you loser Lois, even for its alliteration. You win on many fronts—cool observer, articulate writer, descriptor, interviewer, blurbist—one who writes introductions for others’ books. Cool mo fo - you. Me - not brave, just a turner of pedals.

      Delete
  2. You are no puller of punches regarding Barstow, Sharon! When my mother returned to work she prepared us for weeks for the coming of Millie. Then, the weekend before the big Monday, we found her frantically scanning the want-ads, working the phone and answering us through gritted teeth (backpedaling): "Millie went to Barstow. Millie went to Barstow." This became a watchword in our family. No backpedaling for you, though perhaps, some gritting of teeth! Go well. Janet N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it a depressing city, except for the man at the Mother Road Museum, friendly and talkative about hope for these dying towns along Route66. He says that if the road gets smoothed out, it's very rough in many places, that Route 66 can become a real boon to the tourism business.

      Delete
  3. Frankly speaking you make it a pleasure to travel along by your side What do you average? 12 miles/hour? Anyhoo, it reminds me of my coming here in 1961 directly from Boston at the end of January on Route 40. In reverse of course & totally unaware of the historical future of Route 66. I was at the time a 21-year-old total newbie to the USA & California of course & I have my own tales to tell. Anyway, keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been like the Dust Bowl refugees who came across country to California with tales to tell in the thirties.
      I averaged 10mph from Ludlow to Needles and would have had a sadder tale to tell if the wind had been from the east. I was blessed with good weather and soft wind.

      Delete
  4. Sounds very hard, and thank you for your resilience. Hoping things become easier now! Fascinating photos even so, sending love into your journey Sharon!

    on the way to any yes
    the many no's
    we turn
    bend but don't break
    and coast on the way down


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yeses have been more than the nos, and so far, I bent but didn't break. Thanks for encouraging poetry.

      Delete
  5. I like all the photos, especially yellow wild flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers - yes! Even on the driest desert.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how it's a downer to bring today's heart into old memories. The past is. How we see it seems necessarily tied to our now-different heart and understanding.

      Regarding the future, I look forward to the bright picture you visualize. It's this hammock that hangs between past and future that gives me the most fits.

      Delete
  7. I loved Baghdad Cafe! It was a good movie. I confess to owning a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Taura, maybe I could borrow it when I get home.

    ReplyDelete