xxxx -this is not shown

xxxx -this is not shown
Sixty days on the road.

Friday, April 7, 2017

Out of Town


When you drive from San Bernadino to Victorville, you probably take I-15.  You whizz past slow trucks, and on the railroad beside I-15, you pass even slower trains.  All of the above passed me as I climbed Cajon Pass yesterday.







For the first part of the climb, I was on old Route66, now closed to cars.  It runs beside the new and improved Route66, which is to the left in the picture, and to the right, out of the photo, is I-15, the third stage in this major route from Santa Monica to Chicago. After many miles of city biking, I was finally out of town today. 








The part of the climb on old66 was free from traffic and quite pleasant.  But about half way up the grade, both of the Route66’s end.  Bicyclists and nostalgic motorists are forced onto I-15.  The shoulder is wide and fairly safe, as slow trucks went whizzing past me.  I had to stop often to rest and to point my camera toward snowy mountains to maintain sanity.






Then just after Cajon Pass, I was allowed to exit the freeway and take a minor road into Victorville.  The next morning I took this picture of the way these town people want to preserve the memory of Route66 as it used to be before I-15 bypassed their city. 







Partway from Victorville to Barstow and miles from any other business establishment stands Molly Brown’s Country Café, a most excellent stop.




“Do you get many long-distance bicyclists,” I asked, since I haven’t seen any.

“Oh yes, lots of them,” she said, “And they start coming about now.  All from the west of course.  Nobody leaves Chicago on a bicycle in the winter.”

“How many have enjoyed your good food so far this year?”


“About six,” which gave me some hope of meeting a few before I reach Texas.  From there on, I should meet them as they ride west. 

9 comments:

  1. So how was Molly Brown's food? Was it tasty? Love the mountain pic and the restaurant pic makes it look very quaint. Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly’s has good breakfast, and about twice as much as I could normally eat. But with this much exertion, I ate it all and paid only $5.99

      Delete
  2. Nostalgia has you by the tail girl! There you go experiencing things like wigwams and flirting with the past with Route 66, traveling our familiar roads the ones we do not leave our beaten path for. Thanks! I don't need Netflix, I have you and I am loving traveling with you almost as much as you are loving doing the traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Junnie,
      Flirting with the past is what this trip is about. No wilderness this time, or long hikes from trailheads, no bears. Just getting in touch with this old road and the people who made it worth preserving.

      Delete
    2. gonna be loaded with 'character' ... like the one doing the peddling. I look forward to what's on the way next!

      Delete
  3. Dear Sharon, it seems very hard work you are doing... We missed you at Friday Poetry today. Jackie and I loved your quotes from her poems and we enjoyed thinking about being along with you, with our words, as we met, and walked across campus afterwards.

    on thorny trails
    may the dust of how long it takes
    make daisies
    and keep the sanity of white peaks
    in the distance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Kathabela for a fine tanka take on my travels. I'm taking a rest day in Barstow, a crude and primitive town by LA standards, but it tries to keep the Route66 tradition alive.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your take on Oatman, it's mules, it's famous honeymoon couple. Who is chucking your mail and watering your plant. We'll keep your seat warm at the Reyn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to go through Oatman in a few days, Dalton. I'll watch for the wild mules, and maybe trade my bicycle for one.

      Delete