xxxx -this is not shown

xxxx -this is not shown
Sixty days on the road.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Some Desert Place

.



These desert towns in New Mexico  abide in what was called The Land of Enchantment.  I don’t see that on the signs anymore. 








Historic El Rancho Hotel
Historic El Rancho Hotel
I rode into Gallup through red sandstone formations that still embody enchantment.  And in town, the Navajo culture, holds sense of history in the old section, culture displayed in its museums and galleries, and its preservation of historic buildings.


It gets cold in Gallup at 6500 feet, and the wind is often strong.  I can testify to wind, cold, and rain, but nothing close to the storm of 1932-33.  degrees
 Biggest storm ever in Gallup, 1932, 33, -25 degrees



Gallup was a good town to visit, and leaving it on Route 66 was a pleasant ride all the way to Grants.  It’s all open desert to Grants with none of the Route 66 hype that I experienced along most or the route behind me.  There was, however, a swap meet which uses the customary “66” in its name. 







I came to the continental divide from which it was a gentle downgrade into Grants, a town of a different kind from Gallup.





As I rode the main street of Grants, which is Route 66, I saw almost no mention of the old road’s history or charm, no buildings carry the torch.  Unlike other Route 66 towns, much of Grants is boarded up, and its only thriving section is at an I-40 exit.  There is, however a café with real New Mexican enchiladas as I remember them for their hot green chili, that will burn the insides of most Californians. 


You can click on any picture to make it bigger.  And you can scroll through the pictures by using the arrow keys.  Press Escape to return.  

You can see my progress on an interactive map, prepared by Michael Angerman, at:
Zoom and scroll to see where I’ve been.



8 comments:

  1. I said Wow three times, looking at the photos. You've earned it. Now from elevation 7250 ft,, I hope it's downhill all the way to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Keiko, its all downhill to Lake Michigan, except for climbimg up to Gallup, then up to Santa Fe, then up to a hundred little hills in the Ozarks. I guess you could say there are many divides out there to separate falling raindrops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it Sisyphaen
    she rolls herself uphill
    the mountains themselves
    stands up
    and takes notice

    (Such a journey long arduous with its little rewards... some spicy New Enchiladas but the journey itself, I know, is the Enchantment. (Why is the word not on the signs anymore? It should say this way to enchantment!..)
    By the way Sharon we will at least wave to Keiko in Yokohama on our journey this time... not sure the time will open to actually meet, but we are trying... she is not tooo far from where we will be.)

    Meanwhile I am looking forward to Santa Fe the capital of Enchantment! I have been writing about it and looking forward to you there soon... in May and us in September...)

    Hope the road is easy with the wind behind you and the rewards increasing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a journey it has surely been, up to Santa Fe in a foot of snow, two days there visiting old friends, now at a Benedictine monastery where I just returned from lunch in silence with the monks.

      I have been out of touch via internet, but soon I’ll try to post some pictures and insights—something for those mountains to look at while they’re standing, and hopefully not Sisyphean, though it seems so at times.

      Delete
  4. Oh exciting you have been in Santa Fe already!!

    The mountains are watching!

    And my tanka about them needs one tiny edit

    is it Sisyphaen
    she rolls herself uphill
    the mountains themselves
    stand up
    and take notice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the Shadow Shot! I've been gradually getting to keeping up with you on your journey, but it seems I am peeking in, observing and commenting to myself, marveling at the GUSTo with which you GALLOP on and then leaving my comments to dangle in my mind till a moment came along and called me back in. So, here I am. I've been here all along, just a silent witness to the trip down Route 66 Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay Junnie, to pop in and out of these missives called "blog." I laughed at "gusto with which you gallop." If you knew the lack of gusto, and the mere desire to it over with that I feel sometimes, well, it makes for a good night's sleep.

      Delete