xxxx -this is not shown

xxxx -this is not shown
Sixty days on the road.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Burros and Gold


On the shoulder of busy I-40,
a fierce wildflower thrives
Crossing the Colorado River into Arizona, I had to ride on the narrow shoulder of I-40.  There’s no stopping on the bridge—not for cars.  So if you’ve ever been that way and wanted to stop, here’s what you might have seen . 




I left I-40 after the bridge, heading up a long, sometimes steep, grade on Route66 to Oatman.  Back in the thirties, migrants to California from the Dust Bowl often hired local drivers to wrangle their jalopies over the steep, twisty road.  Bicyclists have told me that this day will be the hardest of the entire trek to Chicago. 



That white spire is a plug of nearly white
 rhyolite that was thrust up through Alcyone trachyte.
There was gold in these Black Mountains of Arizona, and probably still is.  But the mines are closed now and the town of Oatman has gone from 3,500 people to just enough to meet tourists’ whims.  On the last steep hill into town I passed where the Tom Reed Mine stood in 1952 where it began in 1912. (picture at the Oatman Museum).  




Residents of Oatman no longer mine gold, but rather the pockets of tourists.  The town is lousy with busloads from Laughlan, Nevada, and a few travelers of Historic Route 66.  Otherwise it’s a nice town to visit. 




The Oatman Hotel no longer provides rooms with creaky floors and a bathroom down the hall, as it used to.  But you can still sit at the bar and write something on a dollar bill and pin it to the wall. 



I wondered how many customers paid their bar bills with written-on ones, but they must not have exceeded the number who pinned up bills.  All the walls and ceiling are several layers deep in money.






I left memories of miners, the burros they turned loose as the left, and the tourists soaking in old times, and headed up another long steep grade to Sitgreaves Pass.









It’s humiliating to give up riding at 3mph admitting it’s too hard, getting off the bike and pushing it up the hill at 2mph, but that’s what I did for the last two miles.  This was the high point, there would be only one more 1,000-foot climb, and I would be in Kingman.







How many of you have had your tank filled from a pump like these.  I’d really like to know.  I was out-of-gas at this point, and finally rode into Kingman with the lights on.







7 comments:

  1. Whew you are one "fierce wildflower"! (It looks double and you are doing the work of more than two.) Hope you get a good rest after this. What a very difficult climb and hopefully the worst of it is over. Sorry about our of gas too...

    the delicate roots
    clench in unlikely ground
    a slender stem
    blooms through concrete
    as she pushes her bike uphill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you transfer the fierce tenacity of the flower in the shoulder of I-40 to this determined peddler, who walks the bike if she has to.

      Delete
  2. Too bad you didn't pick up
    some quail eggs for Easter.
    In any case don't run over
    any stray bunnies
    across your path.

    I still can't get over
    your guts to do this
    by your lonely self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter sunrise is more about hope and tenacity than about bunnies and eggs. I think even children would think so if allowed to. You've given me an idea for the blog post I'll do later today about yesterday, Easter Sunday.

      Delete
    2. Hope and tenacity are good but bunnies and eggs have their place.

      As absurd and contrasting the images and tales are, the FUN is 'a rising up'.

      The search for the treasures is life's symbolism. The traditions and stories however elaborate or crazy they seem, if they provide joy and discovery and excitement and beauty, then surely they have their place.

      Eggs are profound in their own way, providing us with the everlasting ?

      Color and beauty and newness .... new hat and gloves and patent leather shoes, tulips in the yard and smiles on everyone's faces, spirituality shared in the glow of the day's new light, traditions shared with a common understanding and joy.

      Bunnies and eggs are the reflections of life, of childhood, of newness of multiplying and renewal. So, I guess I am not much on 'down' with anything, just 'up' with the upness of all that I see.

      So says the StarShiney One

      Delete
    3. Okay Junnie, I'l let you have your bunnies and eggs if you will grant me an alone time with the rising sun and the flowers on the thorny cacti and the feeling that jack rabbits bear young using tiny eggs.

      Delete