xxxx -this is not shown

xxxx -this is not shown
Sixty days on the road.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Approaching St. Louis

..





Early morning on a frontage road of I-44, traffic is almost nil, but not the hills.  They come one after another as the sun rises.  It’s an early start into the big city of St. Louis, Missouri.  











It’s still rural with a mix of farmers and big city commuters, as fog rises from a pond, and folks are dressing to feed the cows or drive to their office.









Along this semi-rural road, the natives are being replaced.  They lie beside the pavement, casualties to the spread of humans.







I will try to identify these fallen.  Maybe some of you can help.




Meet Mel, the only long-distance solo cyclist I’ve met on this journey.  She started in Ontario, Canada, and is going to Los Angeles.  She’s 25, starting much younger than I did, and after a month on the road, she seems ready for the journey.  I pushed a little harder and rode happier after meeting her. 





Small towns within commuter’s reach of St. Louis, each with a water tower like its flag.  







While many of the traditional crafts are being gobbled up by the spreading city, a sawmill still makes whisky barrels from white oak logs,  But now they do it in two languages.




Traffic increased and hills got steeper as I approached St. Louis.  Some of the hills were so steep that I got off and pushed the bike.  Even the designated bike routes in this sprawling metropolis have no shoulder or bike lane.  I came to Fenton a suburb of St. Louis and got a motel for two nights.






Michael Angerman updates the map of my journey every day.  Find it at:  Google Map Link for my ride from Pasadena to Chicago  


9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about those animals. They are dead, aren't they? Cars are like bullets to animals.

    About Mel, I can imagine how happy both of you felt when you met!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Keiko, Mel and had an instant connection. Likeminded and unusual people usually do.

      Delete
  2. All of your trips through ultraviolet, and you've maintained your girlish complexion! Mel's pinkness in contrast, she might do well to subdue. Think?
    Paul, Altadena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blush! Sunscreen, it blocks ultraviolet, for those who don't grow a beard.

      Delete
  3. Sharon: that's a dead North American Red Fox (not native to Calif.), 2 Raccoons, and 1 Possum not "playing dead". Raccoons and Possums I have in my night kitchen cleaning up left over cat food (by way of my cat door). I'm glad you met another fearless female biker. I never would have had the nerve to bike this far alone but I did travel by train alone all over Europe (over 45 years ago). With the help of a book "Europe On Five Dollars A Day" Great guide book. Lee Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are right, Lee. Several people identified the raccoons and the possum. Several thought the other is a fox, but no one said North American Red Fox. You sound authoritative and I'll take your word. May I ask how you know an eastern fox species not native to your home?

      Delete
    2. I have books on American wildlife with pictures of foxes (their markings) and where they live. California has some tan desert foxes. Now you have pictures you can always double check. Raccoons and possums I've seen all my life. Even buried some that were road kill.
      Lee Collins

      Delete
    3. Thanks for making an accurate identification of the fallen North American Red Fox, Lee. May he rest in peace.

      Delete
  4. Route 66 ... a dream of mine to travel now on a tucked away bucket list.
    I am from WI ... it is fun to see Chicago and St. Louis .. even though it was the 1950s and early 1960's
    that I was there and 1967 from Milwaukee to New Orleans to ship a car to San Juan.
    .
    I also enjoyed the comments and your replies.
    .
    Thank you for sharing your trip and photos .. :) <3

    ReplyDelete