xxxx -this is not shown

xxxx -this is not shown
Sixty days on the road.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

North into Winter



Warm days and nights of Oklahoma are gone now.  Fall colors are just beginning in Missouri, prophesying winter.








Morning sunbeams penetrate the forest, making bright the night foliage. But not for long.  These trees become transparent in winter, and I hope that holds off for just thirteen more days, until Chicago. 








Pine Forest

These pine trees must be the envy of the hardwoods.  They will stay green, with white fluff off and on, throughout winter.  The bird will not lose his summer cover.






Loose dogs can become a menace for cyclists.  Most of us who have ridden long distances in the country have stories.  Mine involves  a little white dog that I ran over a few years ago when it came out to bark.  Little dogs seldom bite, but they like prove they are big by sounding tough.  This little yapping dog ran right in front of me.  I lost control as my front tire bumped over its back with a crunch.  I went down with minor injuries.  The dog yelped and I never saw it again.

The dog in these picture just wanted to play.  He followed me, ran beside me and ahead of me for about two miles, and he never barked.   



Café food in Missouri small towns is about like it is in Pasadena except that portions are larger and prices lower.  In this café I’d say the portions are double, and the price  half.  This is fine for climbing the hundreds of hills in these Ozark Mountains, but not so fine otherwise.








Michael Angerman updates the map of my journey every day.  Find it at:  Google Map Link for my ride from Pasadena to Chicago When you first open the map, zoom out to see the overall picture, then zoom in to any section.    




6 comments:

  1. The woods are lovely dark and deep
    ...
    ...
    And miles to go before I sleep.

    Amazing journey Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert Frost would like it here in winter, dark and deep, Andy. But I want only rain, not snow, with many miles to go.

      Delete
  2. solo cyclist in autumn
    even the breakfast and dog
    are gold

    postponing winter
    the little white dog
    steps out of the way

    sounds of autumn
    the crispness
    of golden leaves


    Hoping for an easy finale! love from Pasadena! Hao Shen is here with us to Nov 1. We will go to Seabeck Washington Oct 26 to 29 with him to collect haiku about golden leaves...love and autumn greetings from Kathabela Rick and Hao




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the golden leaves of Washington will not have gone as gold of Oatman, dogs that play on the road, and towns painted gold, sunny side out.

      Delete
  3. I'm eating yogurt and sipping coffee for breakfast, wishing for the food in your photo and the great price! About the joyous prancing dog, I'm amazed that you were able to take such lively photos while you rode on bike with quite heavy load of your luggage. Even if you stopped temporarily for taking photos, it must be hard to capture a moving object. I haven't been successful doing that with birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keiko,
      Since the dog was friendly, and there was no traffic, I felt comfortable holding the camera in one hand, snapping as I rode. I took many pictures that did not turn out in order to get a couple of good ones.

      Delete